Sunday, April 22, 2012

I’ve got the Travel Bug

One of my lifelong goals is to visit all 50 states. I have traveled quite a bit so far and I would say that the travel bug has bitten me. In my opinion, a suitcase should always be packed and ready to go. I do not think I would be happy living a life without traveling, I cannot imagine it. My family is very spur-of-the-moment; you never know when we will take a vacation or go on a weekend getaway.

 In May, I will be going to Texas for the first time. I am excited to go to Houston because I will be attending the wedding of a friend. Also, it seems like an interesting place to visit. In Texas, I hope to see authentic cowboy hats and boots, eat a great steak and experience anything else Texas has to offer. I might even come back saying, “Howdy y’all.”

  Vocabulary

 Goals- something that one wants to achieve
Travel Bug- not an actual insect, but having the desire to travel
Spur-of-the-moment- spontaneous, doing something suddenly
Texas- a large state located in the South, which borders Mexico
Houston- a city located in Texas
Cowboy- a rancher, or person who herds cattle
Howdy y'all- Hey you all, Hey everyone.

  Vocabulary Activity- Use the vocabulary words to complete the cloze passage.

Alejandro is a ____________, who works on a ranch outside of ______________. It is a large city in the state of ___________. He is a very busy person but loves to travel. He has aspirations to leave Texas and take a _____________________ trip to Mexico. He could leave at any moment because he has been bitten by the _______________. Also, Alejandro wants to learn how to speak,read, and write in English, this is one of his dreams or his ______________ in life.

  Grammar Point- Contractions A contraction is a shortened form of one or two words (one is usually a verb). An apostrophe ( ’ ) replaces the missing letter or letters. Common verbs that can be contracted include: be, will, would, have, had.
 The following subject pronouns and verbs from the blog can be contracted. For additional assistance visit the website below: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/grammar/contractions/

  Grammar Activity- Create contractions using the following subjects and verbs that were used within the blog. 


 Model: I will= I’ll
1. I am =
2. I have=
3. I cannot=
4. I do not=

 Can you think of any other contractions. Write three below using three DIFFERENT subject pronouns. 1.
2.
3.

No comments:

Post a Comment