Monday, April 2, 2012

Easter Eggs


I always feel nostalgic during the Easter season. I love this time of year, the weather is pleasant, the flowers are blooming, and the school year is closer to being over. In my family, we have a tradition of dying Easter eggs as a family. I look forward to this day because it is fun and I can be creative. My mother boils about two dozen eggs that we can decorate. I like to draw different designs and make unique patterns so that each egg looks special. My sister and I make a few eggs that are solid colors but the more crazy, the better. We can put stickers on the eggs, draw pictures, write our names, and even make tie-dye eggs.

The children that live on my block recently had an Easter egg hunt across several of the front yards. It was adorable to see them running in pure happiness looking for the hidden plastic Easter eggs filled with candy and other prizes. I was secretly tempted to grab an egg, but did not.


Vocabulary Words

Nostalgic- remember happy memories

Blooming- flowers are opening up

Dying- coloring

Dozen- twelve

Tie-dye- a style/method of changing something’s color giving it a streaked look

Easter egg hunt- a race to find hidden Easter eggs

Tempted- persuaded, tested


Vocabulary Activity- Answer the following questions to the best of your ability. Don’t forget to use the vocabulary words!

1. When do you feel nostalgic?
2. What time of year do the flowers bloom?
3. Have you ever been tempted to do something you weren’t supposed to do? If yes, please explain.
4. How many is two dozen?
5. Would you like to participate in an Easter egg hunt? Why?
6. Would you rather dye an egg a solid color or tie-dyed? Why?

Grammar Point- Sentences are made up of subjects and predicates. A subject is a noun or a pronoun, it represents the “doer, senser, or behaver” and any phrase describing it. A predicate is the verb and what goes with it.

Grammar Activity-
Choose five sentences from the reading that demonstrates different subjects. Identify the subject and predicate of each of those five sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment