Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Birthday Brunch



A birthday is a wonderful reason to celebrate life. Last Friday was my Mother’s birthday, and we celebrated everyday of the weekend. I bought my mother a bouquet of flowers and pumpernickel bread, which is her favorite. We cooked a feast together that night; it included baked clams, mussels in a garlic sauce, and angel hair pasta. I also baked a red velvet cake and iced it with cream cheese icing. The red dye of the cake turned my hands a blood red color. On Saturday, we spent the day lounging around and watching our favorite televisions shows together. It was quality “mother-daughter bonding time.”

On Sunday we went to Rothman’s Steakhouse and had a fabulous and extravagant brunch. We drank and ate until we were stuffed. They served a variety of foods including: sushi, omelets, whole lobsters, shrimp, prime rib and a ton of desserts. We spent several hours together as a family, laughing and eating. It was a great day, and we didn’t even need to eat dinner later that night!

Vocabulary Words

Birthday- the day a person was born
Bouquet- a bunch, group of flowers
Feast- a big meal
Dye- a coloring tool that can be used to change the color of something
Lounging around- relaxing
Mother-daughter bonding time – time spent between a mother and daughter talking, and building their relationship
Extravagant- more than needed
Brunch- a meal of the day that serves both breakfast and lunch

Vocabulary Activity- Identify the scrambled vocabulary word that best completes the sentence.

1.On the weekends, I love to eat _____________ because I wake up later than normal. (hnurbc)
2.Every year I celebrate my _____________ on November 28th. (ydabthri)
3.He prepared the biggest dinner that I ever saw, it was a _________________.(tseaf)
4.The blue ______________ of my pants made my ankles blue. (edy)
5.Her husband will buy her a __________ of roses because they are her favorite flowers. (bteouuq)
6.I am doing nothing today but ____________________ the house. (gginnoul arndou)
7.There was too much, it was very ____________________. (ettxraaagvn)
8.That mother and her daughter were spending quality _______________ together. (ndonbig meit)


Grammar Point
The majority of the verbs in the story are in the past tense. Find them in the passage. Write them and then write the present tense form of each.

Grammar Activity

Write about the best birthday celebration that you ever had, be sure to remember the past tense.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent entry! It made me want to go to Rothman's for brunch. I have never been there.

    ReplyDelete